You can kiss MRSA goodbye

Some exciting news has emerged today in Ireland. Research has found that a wild flower growing in West Cork could hold the key to wiping out the deadly superbug MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphyloccus aureus). A post-graduate student, at the Cork Institute of Technology (CIT) has identified a wild flower which is effective against the antibiotic-resistant superbug. Inula helenium (elecampane) is a tall plant which grows wild and blossums in late summer. It is indigenous to Europe and Asia and is now grown in the USA as well. The dried roots and rhizomes (branching part of the the root) are collected and used in herbal preparations to treat respiratory and digestive problems.

The 2-year research project in Cork has shown that extracts from the plant were 100% effective against MRSA as well as a broad spectrum of other bacteria. It now looks as if this plant has the potential to become a useful weapon in the fight against MRSA. It’s fantastic to see Ireland lead the way in research which in time, could help to save lives worldwide. This is good news indeed and holds great hope for the future.

22 Responses to You can kiss MRSA goodbye

1. Grannymar says:

Wow! Great news.

About time too.

2. annehelene says:

What wonderful news regarding the finding of, hopefully, a cure for MRSA. I think you are a inspiration to us all for what you have gone through. I wish you all the very best for your future health. Do take care and keep healthy.

3. John Mellows says:

There are many non-antibacterial remedies for MRSA. One is on this press release done from a study by Texas Tech, I use it and am in a high risk area, so there is that peace of mind.

4. Steph says:

Hi! JM

What is your definition of a ‘non-antibacterial remedy? I presume you meant ‘non-antibiotic’ or perhaps simply ‘antibacterial’?

One thing’s for sure, MRSA is still alive and well despite exhaustive attempts at infection control. We have to live in hope that research will find a way to overcome this dangerous bacteria.

5. cybergrip says:

right, it is not an antibacterial. It is a mineral, and found very effective to date, killing 100% of the bacteria. It can be used on MRSA at any stage, and start the healing process without the gross treatments and wound cleaning that I have seen.

It works, and you dont ahve to sell you house to afford it. What pisses me off is the cost of not only medication but treatment, I have seen children truned away because the parents dont have the right insurance. So they go to the county and, well, there is another story.

It is a simple topical spray, some things just dont have to be all that complicated, unless you happen to be a large pharmacuetical company. I am sure they will try to get to these people, buy it, shelve it and tell you to see a doctor after you sell your car to make the payments. Do I seem bitter? Been there, done that. The best stuff never comes from mega corps, it comes from small independants that work for a solution and are not accountable to the bean counters that now run most companies.

There are no side effects, and no pharmacological interactions.

6. nonny says:

I just can’t understand this whole MRSA, how come English hospitals don’t have it? Why are we not getting rid of it? and why on earth are people not suing?. If the HSE had to fork out a few million to those infected they’d get of their outdated bureaucratic arses and do something.

7. Steph says:

You’re right! Nonny – MRSA is a complicated business and unless/until it affects you, most people know little about it. MRSA has been around a long time (as long as hospitals have) but the bacteria is continually mutating and becoming more resistant (for many reasons – see link below). It is a serious problem today in hospitals worldwide but Ireland and UK have been shown to have some of the worst statistics.

As regards suing – MRSA is everywhere – at this stage it’s in the community as well as in hospitals but it does not affect people unless they are already unwell, are immumo-compromised or have an open wound. It’s very difficult to prove the source of an infection. The people who die with MRSA infection are usually those who are already seriously ill in hospital and so while MRSA may hasten death , it’s difficult to show that it caused it. There is a huge spectrum of ways that MRSA affects people – some get life-threatening infections which need intense treatment in hospital while others are not particularly ill and get better following one course of the appropriate antibiotic. People who are told that they are ‘colonised’ with MRSA do not ‘have’ MRSA – they are simply ‘carriers’ and should take simple measures to eradicate the bacteria from their system for everyone’s safety, including their own. So when someone says that they ‘have’ MRSA it can mean many different things – this is where a lot of the misunderstanding occurs.

MRSA is a serious problem but it’s being hyped out of all proportion – mainly due to ignorance. We all owe it to ourselves to become better informed and to do our bit to minimise the problem . Here’s a link to a post I wrote some time ago to help explain MRSA.

8. Caoimhin says:

Exciting news Steph about the research in Cork! I saw on Sky News last night that Psuedomonas (another HCAI) infections are up 40% in the UK. If this plant extract can eliminate these and other infections we are on a winner. What will we blog about then? ;)

9. Nonny says:

Hiya Steph,

Thank you for the informative reply. My Godchild had MRSA having needed surgery just after birth, she is 4 years old now and suffered continual bouts of pneumonia and pleurisy and spent lengthily periods of time in hospital. The root cause was never disclosed, her parents only discover it was MRSA last year when they took her for a second opinion. When the hospital provided copies of her medical history they discover she was diagnosed with MRSA at one, her parents where completely unaware of this. MRSA weakens you immune system. Obviously she contracted it at the surgery she had. I know this is an isolated case but there has to be some accountability. If hospitals elsewhere can keep this at bay ours are no different. What do you think is the main problem? Do you blame the HSE or are you more inclined to look at the hospitals? I find the issue of MRSA most interesting.

10. Baino says:

Hi Steph thought it was time I visited you. Wow . . this is a serious blog! Not for the feint hearted.

Interestingly, I’ve been asked to take high powered antibiotics PRIOR to my stay in hosptial which I though was interesting . . .a precaution. I don’t know much about it other than resistance to most antibiotics. It seems particularly prevolent in public hospitals. I did recently however, hear of another blogger (American actually) who passed away as a result of this . . a simple eye injury . . .dreadful. Good to hear there is good news on the research horizon, lets hope they get cracking with human trials. So often we hear of these breakthoughs but it takes years of research and registration before they hit the system that needs them the most.

11. Laura B Reed says:

My Son has MRSA….. He is 36 And has had one he** if a time with it!!!! :-(( :-((

I would like our lovely USA Gov. To do something about this Super Bug!!!
    It’s Worse than any WAR or WMDs ..All Countries need to look at this disease as a potental killer to all of us…

Stop The Fighting & Wars Work on a Cure or we won’t need WARS…. MRSA WILL eventually kill us all!!!!! If it’s NOT STOPPED NOW!!!!!

Good Gawd When Will We Homosapiens GET IT!!!!!!

12. Steph says:

Nonny – I blame everyone who has a vested interest in the health service because until politics is taken out of it, the HSE doesn’t stand a chance!

Baino – welcome! Now you know why I look to elsewhere for banter! ;-)

Laura – Hello and welcome. I’m sorry to hear about your son. Remember – MRSA is only one of many bacteria that can kill. Yes – outbreaks are on the increase but so are advances in medical research. We have to live in hope that a solution to the MRSA problem will be found and in the meantime, we should all do our bit to limit the spread of infection.

13. Laura B Reed says:

Thanks Steph :-D

;

14. Baino says:

Haha well if it’s banal banter you want, I got it in bucketloads! Hope the hand heals OK.

15. S. Williams says:

Hi…
    “The dried roots and rhizomes (branching part of the the root) are collected and used in herbal preparations to treat respiratory and digestive problems.” is stated in the article.
    Which parts of the plants are extracted to combat MRSA? Is the elecampane extract used internally as well as externally, (topically) to combat the infection?
    And, btw, although I’ve used elecampane root as well as usnea (lichen) extracts on my son, for bronchial issues, getting him to take either of these tinctures is like pulling teeth. They taste pretty bad…
    -Cyra

16. Steph says:

Cyra – I suggest you Google ‘Inula helenium (elecampane)’ for further information as I’m only the messenger on this occasion. All the best.

17. Mary Gerada says:

Lost my only precious daughter Karen, l6 years of age, due to MRSA – it’s as if I lost my life too! Before I use to feel confident that in Europe we are well catered for. You go to hospital and most basic ailments can be set right (We always hear of infectious deseases in third world countries!) Alas to my tremendously bad experience my eyes opened wide and now I look at this sense of security that we are told to have as a Myth. God bless any one who can eradicate this malicious infection. Hope it can help people very very soon. It means saving the lives of very dear ones even though they may be common folk. Mary

• Steph says:

Mary – I’m so sorry to hear you lost your daughter.

Every life is precious no matter what the circumstances. Sadly, MRSA does not respect life. However, we have to live in hope that medical research will find a solution to the problem of drug resistance.

Take care of yourself, Steph

18. Mary Gerada says:

Hi Steph,
    Thanks for your encouraging words. We do have to hope but authorities have to show more concern and act before infections get worse.
    Sincerely
    Mary

• Steph says:

Mary

Thanks, I agree entirely. We are dependent on the authorities to implement good infection control policies in all hospitals and communities. However, it’s also important to point out that everyone has a responsibility to play their part in helping to stop the spread of MRSA.

Regards, Steph

19. Chuck O'Donnell says:

First, it started with Necrotising Faciitis(Flesh eating bacteria) and nearly 4 1/2 months in the hospital, lost the entire back of my thigh to the bone. Then MRSA 3 times, amputations, Staph twice and surgeries. Why> Modern American Medicine, giving me massive steroid injections in my neck for a terrible whiplash accident that disabled me. By my 3rd MRSA infection was told I would get it all my life. Using Lemon Thyme essential oils on my last toe wound, it cannot be found even in my nostrils. Not 2 years ago I had never taken a vitamin in my life. I am 55 now. After my 3rd MRSA infection, I started taking supplements and certain vitamins, eating healthier, etc. I am convinced that Mother Nature has provided her children with all the natural cures that can ail us, like Ellencampane. I now have a friend growing it for me now. Modern medicine has nearly killed me 12 times. I take No pharmaceuticals at all now. It is all about MONEY, and always will be. Here in the states, they don’t want to cure anyone, they want us sick and remain so for profits. The food system in the U.S. is also toxic. GMO’s mostly thanks to Monsanto. Pesticides and herbicides, chemical fertilizers, etc. Eat Organic, garden, using non genetically altered seeds. Read, study, and learn on your own. Your government, medical community, and all their agencies LIE for profits. Even the illegality of cannabis, one of the most curatative, most medicinal plants on this earth, is illegal only for Big Pharma profits, and the entire justice and legal system it supports by keeping it criminal. I am probably healthier now than I have ever been in my life. I will never use another pharmaceutical product as long as I live. LEARN people. Good health to you all
    Chuck

• Steph says:

Cheers! Chuck

MRSA sure changed your life. I empathise with you greatly.

However, I don’t entirely agree with you in your sweeping statements about the intentions of the medical community, our governments and the pharmaceutical industry. The medical community is not entirely corrupt and I’m in no doubt that I owe my life to the doctors who’ve treated me over the years. Yes… mistakes have been made but inadvertently, in my opinion and hopefully lessons will have been learnt which will spare other patients from a similar fate.

There’s no doubt that there are corrupt medics our there, particularly in the States and there will always be gullible patients who believe (or want to believe) what they’re told without questioning the information supplied. I totally agree with you that it’s up to all of us as patients, to be as informed as possible and always to discuss and question any treatment advised.

I very much like your philosophy on eating organic and self-education. Long may your good health continue!